About The Organization
OneShared.World is a global initiative that aims to establish humanity’s collective voice as a third pillar of our global organizational structure. That landscape is currently defined by national governments and the international agencies (UN, WHO, IMF, etc.) that connect those governments. Although the great work that both individual nation states and collective agencies perform is both encouraging and impactful, at our current juncture in history it is clearer to see the areas in which these institutions have failed us. The existential threats facing our collective civilization — climate change, global pandemics, poverty, food scarcity, nuclear proliferation — loom larger now than ever before. OneShared.World seeks to provide a voice to those who will be affected most by these issues, and, importantly, to unite that voice into collective action.
We are looking for enthusiastic, proactive and socially conscious young people to help grow our initiative, spread our message and help us create a more united, integrated world which celebrates diversity. OneShared.World provides a unique platform which enables you to build a global community and network with people who are excited about changing the world. The coordinator program is very active, young, fresh, exciting and fun!!
If you love raising your voice to fight for change, if you are excited about global interconnectedness, and if you are hungry to work with academics, business people, community leaders, and industry experts who are committed to build a better world, then this is the role for you.
- Location: Remote
- Contract Type: Part Time
- Position Type: Volunteer
- Rolling application
The initiative is divided into various working groups that tackle different aspects of the collective action described above. Engagement, Social Architecture, Conventional and Social Media, IT, and specific Sub-Campaigns (like Global Public Health or Outreach to Vulnerable Populations) are among the types of groups you might find yourself working in. This role might sit at the intersection of administrative responsibilities and ideation for our campaigns and programs, which includes working on facilitating coordination and organization for the working group leaders, taking meeting notes and helping in the framing and wording of different campaigns, social media posts and outreach and global engagement!
You will be responsible for spreading our message, facilitating global outreach, organizing working groups, communicating within your group, networking across groups, contributing resources and ideas, among other things.
This position is part time and remote, and can be undertaken by anyone, anywhere in the world — we are truly global! Applications are open and roles are filled on a rolling basis.
Role: Chief Operating Officer
OneShared.World is an inclusive movement of stakeholders working collaboratively across diverse cultures, communities, ethnicities, organizations, entities, interests, generations, and nations to ensure a better future for humankind and the sustainability of our collective home.
The COVID-19 pandemic has reminded us that we are all one global community. Regardless of our cultural, political, ethnic, and socioeconomic differences, we depend on each other for our lives and livelihoods. Our interdependence transcends all boundaries. As part of OneShared.World, we are working together to meaningfully address our greatest common existential challenges.
The failure of governments and international institutions to prepare for, prevent, and adequately respond to the COVID-19 pandemic was the catalyst for this movement. These failures have exposed a deeper structural problem: the mismatch between the global challenges we face and the predominately national way we are organized to address them. These challenges are broader than deadly pathogens, they include climate change, ecosystem destruction, weapons of mass destruction, and global under-development.
The virus has shown us that we are interdependent, whether or not we wish to be. Each person’s security and well-being reside in every other person and in our common ecosystem. We must work together and help each other. We realize that helping others is not charity, it is one of the best investments we can make in helping ourselves.
This movement began as a speech, declaration, and blog post that went viral by Jamie Metzl in March 2020. That viral discussion has become a movement of thousands of people in nearly 100 countries on five continents who have donated over 7,000 volunteer hours. Our members include university presidents, former prime ministers and governors, artists, and people of all backgrounds, ages, and orientations.
Our Declaration of Interdependence has been translated into Arabic, Chinese (S), Chinese (T), Dutch, English, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish, with more languages coming soon.
Our goal is to build a social movement and political force of people around the world working collaboratively to solve our biggest common problems. We will drive real and meaningful change in practices, structures, systems, and outcomes ensuring tangible progress toward addressing our greatest collective needs. We cannot wait for leaders to save us. It is up to each one of us to step forward to work together to save ourselves.
Only a well-considered and well-designed long-term action strategy can turn our aspiration for global systemic change into reality.
Our strategy is built on four essential pillars:
- Public engagement and education
- Broad partnerships with aligned organizations
- Focused issue campaigns
- Integration of an appreciation of the mutual responsibilities of interdependence into the missions, platforms, and agenda of organizations, political parties, governments, and international bodies around the world
OneShared.World will start by launching two major global campaigns to advance these goals.
- The first, co-chaired by Harvard School of Public Health Dean Michelle Williams and World Toilet Organization founder Jack Sim, will seek to enhance our global public health capacities for the benefit of all.
- The second, chaired by Ambassador Rick Barton, will champion an aggressive emergency action plan for assisting the most vulnerable populations as the COVID-19 pandemic likely shifts toward the Southern hemisphere in the coming months.
To ensure that OneShared.World has the administrative and operational backbone to support its ambitious growth strategy, we are looking for a Chief Operating Officer to join our Leadership Team. The COO will establish, oversee, evolve, and adapt — as needed — OneShared.World’s administrative and operational functions that enable the organization to fulfil its global mission.
Working closely with the Founder/Chair and with the Leadership Team, the COO will lead and support efforts to continue to refine OneShared.World’s operating model and will direct cross-functional efforts such as long-term strategic planning, the development of OSW’s operating plan, and the establishment and monitoring of organizational and programmatic performance and milestone setting.
OneShared.World is an entrepreneurial organization that embraces change and experimentation and is open to new ways of achieving greater impact. As such, the COO will be an innovative and agile thinker who will encourage a culture of collaboration, open debate, and new ideas.
The COO’s responsibilities include (but are not limited to) the following:
Supporting the Founder/Chair in all matters related to the day-to-day internal management of the organization and in preparing for internal and external meetings.
- Design and oversight of OneShared.World’s support functions – administrative, financial, human capital, and other – adapting and evolving internal processes and infrastructure as the organization’s global footprint develops and grows.
- Developing and implementing administrative and operational policies and practices to ensure efficient use of resources, consistency, fairness, and good governance and the most effective realization of the organization’s strategic goals.
- Ensuring the organization is compliant with all relevant legal and regulatory requirements and guidelines.
- Working with the Founder/Chair and Leadership Team to establish and monitor organizational and programmatic performance metrics.
- Ensuring the effective functioning of strategic working groups made up of OneShared.World volunteers and of the Coordinators Program, made up of younger volunteers.
- Ensuring timely and accurate financial reporting to support management decision making and to keep funders and partners informed.
- Measuring organizational performance against targets and anticipated outcomes.
- Ensuring that the organization has put in place all of the appropriate policies, practices, and systems required to optimize the use of its financial resources.
- Supporting the mobilization of financial resources for the organization.
- Leading the strategic business planning and implementation processes in collaboration with the Founder/Chair and Leadership Team, including the setting of annual priorities.
The successful candidate will be an accomplished individual with the experience to help design and manage the administrative and operational functions of a highly innovative and transformative global organization. This is a start-up organization and the COO must be an entrepreneur at heart with a passion for making the world a better place, a strong desire to contribute to the creation of a global movement, and a joyous willingness to undertake a hands-on role in a resource constrained environment.
Previous experience in an international, multi-cultural, matrixed organization and an understanding of best practices in all aspects of administration, resource allocation, human resources, and fiscal management is essential to the success of this role. Above all, the successful candidate must be able to establish a strong and trusting relationship with the Founder/Chair and quickly earn the confidence of the Leadership Team and broader OneShared.World community.
In terms of the performance and personal competencies required for the position, we would highlight the following:
- A strong analytical mind and the ability to grasp the scope and scale of OSW’s mission and ambitions.
- An entrepreneurial and creative approach to problem solving; ability to evolve and operate within a changing organizational architecture.
- A clear focus on organizational targets amid multiple competing demands, with a capacity to prioritize effectively in order to realize these goals.
- The ability to effectively balance the desire/need for operational and organizational change with an understanding of how much change the organization is capable of handling. Creates realistic goals and implementation plans that are achievable, measurable, and successful.
- The skill and experience to seek and analyze data from a variety of sources to support the Executive Director and Senior Leadership Team in decision-making and overall strategy.
Executing for Results
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities, delegate responsibilities, and allocate resources as appropriate in order to achieve results.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty. Able to adapt and navigate confidently through complex, evolving situations.
- Highly professional, organized and efficient; able to multi-task effectively and prioritize work based on minimal direction and multiple competing priorities.
- Acts in a transparent and consistent manner, always taking into account what is best for the organization.
Leading Teams, Building Relationships and Influencing
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the capacity to establish and sustain collaborative and productive relationships at multiple levels within a global, decentralized organization.
- Manages through collaboration and influence and can build effective coalitions to move forward an agenda. Seeks the views of others before making key decisions.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Encourages ideas and opinions and shares information openly with the team.
- Is self-reflective and aware of their own limitations. Open to feedback.
- Has the ability to persevere in the face of challenges, and exhibit a steadfast resolve and commitment to the mission of the organization.
- A citizen of the world; welcomes the opportunity to work in a rich and diverse multicultural environment.
- Passionate about OSW’s mission, enthusiastic for the challenges confronting the project, and dedicated to achieving its goals.
- Empathetic and engaging; at ease operating at the most senior levels as well as with local volunteers on the ground.
- Resilient and energetic with well-tested capacity to operate effectively and responsively under pressure;
- Unquestionable personal integrity, sense of fairness, and strong personal and professional judgment.
- Has the humility to ask questions and seek help or advice when needed as well as the confidence and the flexibility to modify strong views in the face of new information and compelling logic.
- Welcomes new challenges and embraces adventure.
Strong verbal and written communication skills in English are essential; fluency in or knowledge of other languages would be an advantage.
The world is in quarantine for the foreseeable future. OneShared.World happily accommodates work from home.
OneShared.World is a start-up organization with big plans, a lot of energy, a great deal of momentum, and plans to raise significant funds. The ideal candidate for this position would be willing to volunteer at first, progressing to a full-time employee as funds are raised. OSW cannot deliver riches, but we offer the mission of a lifetime.
To submit an application, please contact send a CV and a letter of interest to the email address below. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.