We seek to promote the democratic expression of our common humanity as an essential pillar of our global power structure and drive real and meaningful change in practices, structures, systems, and outcomes ensuring tangible progress toward addressing our greatest collective needs.
Recognizing, as the COVID19 pandemic has powerfully reminded us, that we are all one humanity facing common existential challenges, we:
Hold that only an appreciation of our deep interdependence with each other and all the species and ecosystems on our planet must underpin efforts to successfully champion a healthy, safe, and sustainable future;
Assert our mutual responsibility for our common well-being;
Affirm that concern for the welfare of humanity begins with each one of us and that the goals, processes, and desired outcomes of our effort must be aligned; and
Believe that even at this time of crisis the magnitude of the threats we face pales in comparison to our potential for coming together to build a better, brighter world.
Therefore, OneShared.World adopts the following declaration:
The common and essential aspirations of humanity have been reflected well in the Charter of the United Nations, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and the Sustainable Development Goals, which we fully support.
Although our existing states and international institutions have made a tremendous contribution to global peace, security, stability, and well-being, these entities have proven incapable of sufficiently addressing many of our greatest common needs.
These include but are not limited to:
- A failure to build the predictive, preventive, and responsive infrastructure to protect us from global pandemics like COVID-19;
- A failure to prevent the dangerous proliferation of nuclear, chemical, cyber, and other weapons of mass destruction;
- A failure to address climate change, to prevent environmental degradation, and to defend the survival of all species and the sustainability of our planet;
- A failure to protect the most vulnerable among us from hunger, malnutrition, discrimination, disease, and disorder; and
- A failure to establish structures that embed our most cherished collective values in the management of our global commons and financial system and in the applications of our powerful technologies.
Our inability to meet these common challenges is rooted in a fundamental mismatch between the priorities of our national governments and our collective needs as humans sharing the same planet. While our existing states and international organizations remain essential, we can only address our greatest global challenges by expanding our concept of and capacity for collective action.
In this spirit, we seek to build a third pillar of the global power structure beyond sovereign states and the essential international institutions our governments have created. This third pillar is a fully inclusive global social movement and political force representing the democratic expression of our common humanity.
We understand that the force of our common aspiration as humans must augment and inspire, not replace, the critical work being done by many governments and international institutions.
We demand from the leaders of these institutions at all levels a commitment to informed decision-making that balances national interests with global public interests for mutual benefit across geographies and generations.
We believe our movement must be built from the ground up around a network of individuals, organizations, and entities working together on the local, regional, national, and global levels.
We appreciate that although new technologies enable historically unparalleled opportunities for collaboration, people who must be part of this process are not yet connected to this global communications grid.
Recognizing diversity as our greatest strength, we declare our interdependence and mutual duties and responsibilities as individuals and members of distinct communities, organizations, entities, and nations all in this together.
We pledge ourselves to:
- Support the establishment of a predictive, preventive, and responsive infrastructure to protect us from shared existential threats;
- Ensure that the most disempowered among us may enjoy the same essential liberties as the prominent and powerful, that our human commonality is celebrated within the context of our essential diversity, and that our equally worthy lives may be lived in dignity;
- Work directly and through our communities, organizations, entities, and nations to safeguard our common humanity and shared home;
- Forge a safe and sustainable global environment for all the species and ecosystems on our planet;
- Guarantee the health, safety, and well-being of all children and all people and to ensure that they have equitable education, health care, and security;
- Support and share artistic expression in all its forms to help engender connection, respect, meaning, and communication across cultures; and
- Uphold and promote human fellowship through mutual consideration, respect, empathy, and kindness.
In assigning our names to this declaration, we commit ourselves to acting to the best of our abilities in pursuit of these principles and call on all people and all organizations, entities, and nations to come together to collectively address our most pressing common challenges.
To this end, we citizens of our various countries and our shared world mutually pledge to each other the energy of our lives, the opportunity of our fortunes, and our sacred honor.
If you support these principles, please join our global movement by signing our Pledge.